What are you looking for in a housemate
When looking for a housemate or lodger, it is good to be clear on who you would like to live with or live in your property. It’s better to be stuck with someone you like rather than making a rapid decision and maybe getting someone that wasn’t really suitable. Some things to consider when looking are:
- Gender: Would you prefer a male or female or no preference.
- Age: Is there an age range you want to stick between?
- Occupation: Are you looking for a student or a professional, would you accept DSS. Do you want someone that works late?
- Type of person: Are you looking for someone who can help pay the bills or someone to have the occasional night out with and have a chat with at night. Do you want a regular party goer or not, what lifestyle would you be happy with, have a good think about this.
- Hygiene: Do you mind leaving the washing up till the morning or do you like to get it out the way straightaway. Find a housemate who is the same, if you’re always clean and your lodger’s laid back, this could get to you.
- Other flatmates: Have all the existing house mates met the tenant. Are they happy?
- Music: Do you mind sharing with someone who likes to listen to music a lot.
- Rules: Show the potential tenant the house rules, ask if they feel they will be able to stick to them.